Okay, perhaps not the quickest breakfast, but it certainly was tasty.
- Flour tortilla (we like the uncooked kind that you quickly heat, as needed);
- Two strips thick-cut bacon;
- Two medium cremini mushrooms, fairly thinly sliced;
- Red bell pepper, thinly sliced (alright, half made it into the breakfast and I ate the other half, raw, while cooking);
- One egg;
- Shredded cheddar cheese, to your taste;
- Butter or bacon drippings, for cooking.
I started with the bacon cooking on one pan, while sauteing the sliced mushrooms in a second pan.
Once the bacon was ready, I moved it over to a paper towel to drain a bit, and cooked the tortilla on the same pan.
The tortilla takes maybe 3 minutes, at most, then gets transferred to the plate and receives a thin scattering of shredded cheese, while still hot.
This is just for ingredient adhesion. You believe me, right?
Once the cheese melts in, add the two pieces of bacon, then smother with the mushrooms.
Quickly sautee the bell pepper strips, and add them on top. They will keep the mushrooms warm.
The final step is a fried egg, which I lightly dusted with pepper and a garlic salt we keep on hand. I’ve also done this step with chili powder (Mexican / hot variety). Feel free to explore some other tastes, to suit your palate.
Add the egg on top, sprinkle with a bit more cheese (it’s a binder, really) decide if you want salsa incorporated, then make a valiant attempt to fold the tortilla closed, before semi-messily eating it.
A good start to any day.